Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My child's teacher uses a total point grading system, however, all assessments are worth 100 point(percentage of correct responses), meaning that a minor quiz or homework count the same as a lab, project, or major test. During the previous quarter, 1100 points were possible. Homework (3), quizzes (3), and tests(3) made up 27% each of the final grade, and Labs(2) ended up as 18%. What are your thoughts on this grading practice? What is the best "fix" for this grading practice that would accurately and fairly measure what a student has learned, rather then so heavily weighting the learning process?

2014-10-28
Joe

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

This is not a good grading plan. Homework and quizzes should not be part of grades. Labs
should not be part of grades if they are "cookbook labs," i.e., students follow recipe to
conduct and write up the lab. Labs should only be used as part of the determination of
grades if they are evaluating the use of previously acquired student knowledge and skill(s).
The best fixes are that grades should be based on standards not assessment methods and
scoring should be based on levels of proficiency not points and %. Also grades should be
based on summative assessments that provide opportunities for students to write, do and
say, i.e., not just paper and pencil tests.