Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My sons' middle school has just changed their grading policy to 80% of grade is the average of
tests and quizzes, and 20% of the grade is the average of the daily work grade. My 6th grader
has a B in English, and my 8th grader has a B in algebra. The both have high scores for daily
work (95/98%), but they both scored a C on one of their quizzes and can't recover. This
grading policy seems to emphasize quiz/tests, but lacks an importance on daily work. What
do you think about this grading system?

2014-10-10
Beth

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Daily work is learning/practice and has no place in grades. Grades should come 100% from
summative assessments (tests, projects, performance assessments, oral
interviews/exams). This also means that in the most common use of quizzes - checking
how things are going along the way - also have no place in grades. Students should always
be able to "recover" from low grades, either by the same concepts/skills being assessed
later or a retest and the new evidence replacing the old evidence. I wish you were more
concerned about the learning reasons (strengths/areas for improvement) and next steps)
for their C quiz grades than their overall grade. And by the way there is nothing wrong with
a B.