Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

What would be a fair grading practices for students with disabilities, when extended time is given and greatly surpassed (work not turned in until week of or even after grades are to be submitted), interventions in place where students can receive additional help before and after school or on teachers planning, phone calls to parents have been made, and students have received warnings and other consequences of not turning in work? I have done it all taken minimal points off, not taken any points away and accepted work, if late past extended time the greatest they can get is 70%. Please help, I'm frustrated as an educator with my students, there parents, the administration, and myself.

2014-08-28
Dominica

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Fair grading practices are the same for all students but appropriate accommodations
and/or modifications obviously have to made for students with disabilities. I am totally
opposed to penalties or limits on scores for late work. I think there are two main things
that work; 1. Be clear about the body of evidence that is required, and 2. if evidence is not
submitted in a timely manner require 'time for time' - shortly after the original deadline
require the student to be present at a time of your choosing for the help, support and time
they need to get it done.