Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

A discussion about group work came up in a meeting I had today. Is it okay to give students individual marks on a group assignment and what is the best way of going about that? Having students decide their grades based on a formula does not seem like a good option, and we shouldn't give them a group mark. How do we assess their learning through the group without simply having them write a reflection on what they learned? I was wondering if you have any specific resources about group work and assessment that you can steer me towards?

2011-06-28
Rose Pillay

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

It is ok to give students an individual mark on a group assignment if the mark is a
reflection of individual's success on the criteria published for the assignment. The best way
to go about is to have clear, criteria that are shared with and understood by all the
students before they start the assignment. You assess their learning through the group by
having them complete an assessment of what they now know, understand and can do as a
result of the cooperative learning.The assessment can be a test, a writing assignment, a
performance task or an oral interview. For specific resources go to Spencer Kagan's web
site.