Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : :

Question

Hi,
I have read a lot of your work and look forward to our transition to a SBRC for students in K-5. We have transitioned over time. I am producing a FAQ for parents and I know one of the questions will be about the 5th grade SBRC preparing students for an averaged report card that is currently used in middle school. Can you help me to respond to this? Thanks and I appreciate your time.
Mary

2014-03-21
Mary White

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Hopefully it will only be a matter of (short) time till the middle school report card becomes
standards-based. Even if it does not become sb there is no reason to support averaging.
I know the above was not answering your question but it needed to be said. Now to answer
your question - as a result of sbg&r for 5 or 6 years, 5th grade students (and parents) have
a very clear understanding of their strengths and weaknesses so transitioning to traditional
g&r should not be difficult.

Tom Totushek's
Comment

2014-03-24

I have heard this comment many times myself and I answer with some variation of "just
because someone after me (us) isn't going to use best practices doesn't me I (we) shouldn't."
As a high school teacher I hear this all the time about college.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2014-03-24

Unfortunately you are right - whatever level we teach we have do what is best for our students now regardless of bad - or good - practices- at the next level.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2014-03-24

Unfortunately you are right - whatever level we teach we have do what is best for our students now regardless of bad - or good - practices- at the next level.