Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I work at a district where you have visited in the past. Currently, K-6 has 4 levels used for the
SBG, with 4 being advanced. Teachers have created 4 assessments for the essential
standards. Many report that the 4 is difficult to assess and it is "a stretch" to describe how a
student can get to a 4. Some of the reasons cited include problems with giving an advanced
for skills that you either get or you don't. In short, teams are uncomfortable with the 4 and
many wish we just had three levels and were allowed to communicate in different ways if they
exceed expectations. I am curious to know if you have seen this concern before and offer any
suggestions.

2014-02-12
Mark

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I agree that it is sometimes difficult to justify four levels especially for things that you get or don't get. For those things I think performance levels have to be based on frequency/consistency with e.g., a 4 being "almost always." I also agree that the problem is alleviated by only having three levels and using narrative to acknowledge performance beyond proficiency. Another thing that helps is labelling level 4 as "Excelling" NOT "Exceeds Expectations."