Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I am an artist and dance educator at a university. Grading in arts areas is always an issue in higher education because of the finite details of the art form and what is considered a "good" performance. I was wondering if you had a perspective about how to assess in dance or other art forms without subjectivity of personal aesthetic (of the instructor), but still encouraging the progress (physically and artistically) within the students. I would like to create a model of assessment in dance that could work across higher education as a framework for artistic and technical ability.

2014-01-27
Tabatha Robinson

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Tabatha, my perspective is that all assessment is subjective whether it is a math test or a
dance performance. What is critical is that students know the what and how well of what
you/the standards require them to do. The best way to make this clear is through rubrics
that you develop yourself, or even better are co-constructed with your students. I am sure
if you put "rubrics for dance" into a browser you will find many examples that you can use
or adapt.