Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Dear Ken,

According to Daniel Pink, if the task is a 'simple, straight-forward task', 'carrot and stick tasks', 'non-algorithmic' and 'if you do this you will get that' tasks, rewards such as marks are great incentives. Would this not then speak in favour of having late-mark penalties? For those kids who can only deal with these sort of challenges and respond favourably to 'more is better', NOT having such a 'reward' or logical consequence, as I see it, goes against Pinks assertions.

If you are counting on 'intrinsic motivation' you'll be sorrily disappointed. Again, the work I referred you to in my presentation describes how even the most self-motivated people are less so motivated when it comes to hard subjects such as math.

Roger Curtis

2011-04-12
Roger Curtis

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

You are correct about what Pink said but assessments that students are submitting to show
evidence of their learning should not be 'simple, straight-forward task(s), 'non-
algorithmic,' or 'if you do this you will get that tasks so a punishment/reward motivational
scheme is not the way to promote high level and on-time performance.

Also I think it is incorrect to say that intrinsic motivation is less for things that are difficult
- it is success at things that are difficult for us that provides the greatest satisfaction and
therefore the greatest motivation.