Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Dear Ken,

Our jurisdiction has made a commitment to develop an outcomes based grading and reporting system over the course of the next 3-4 years using Powerschool. We are currently in the process of building the Grade One report card and we are looking for advice on what you would recommend for an equal difference scale that corresponds to a 4 point numeric rubric e.g. 4,3,2,1 with 4 representing a student who is proficient, and 1 representing a student with limited understanding. We are building into our gradebook set an 'NE' for 'not enough' evidence to replace what would have formerly been a 'zero' in most traditional classrooms. I can support the 5 point scale which mitigates the impact of the zero, but we have some that are so opposed to '0' that they are reluctant to include it in the rubric replacing it with an NE instead. My question then is how do we differentiate between a students who is genuinely limited in their achievement and one who has not submitted sufficient evidence to be able to make a determination of their achievement of the outcomes. My understanding is that in order for the powerschool gradebook to generate the scores from our alpha rubric that we have tied to the 4 point scale it has to be pushed through some cut scores that are in the bcakground,so teachers and parents never see them. That leaves me with two questions. Why are the percentage cut scores necessary if we are using a 4-5 point rubric and if they are necessary in order for the algorithm to generate the alpha score what should they look like?

2011-04-11
Glenn

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

"Why are the percentage cut scores necessary if we are using a 4-5 point rubric and if they
are necessary in order for the algorithm to generate the alpha score what should they look
like?"

Percentage cut scores have not been necessary in PowerTeacher since April 2009.