Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

I have two daughters that have gone to your system this year of “Grading for Learning”. I have tried to find research and what you used as a bench mark that show this system works. Hopefully you can direct me to a site or send me a link to some research.

2013-10-16
Bill Miller

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

"Grading for learning" is not 'my system.' I have proposed fifteen fixes/eight guidelines to
make grades accurate, consistent, meaningful and more supportive of learning (rather
than grade grubbing). I am not and have never claimed to be a researcher so I cannot point
to a large body of research but there is strong evidence that when assessment is used to
support learning subsequently academic achievement increases dramatically. For this
evidence google Paul Black, Dylan Wiliam, and John Hattie.

BIll Miller's
Comment

2013-10-23

I am confused more now than I was before. If you say, “I am not and have never claimed to
be a researcher so I cannot point to a large body of research but there is strong evidence
that when assessment is used to support learning subsequently academic achievement
increases dramatically”, then how did you come up with 15 fixes/eight guidelines not to
mention the books that you have wrote? Are you telling me that all your work is nothing
more than “work sited” from the three names you gave in your response to my first
question? I did notice in one of your books there is 2-3 pages of “work sited”, again if you
don’t research what you write and verify that it does what it claims then how can you stand
by your own written words? I for one don’t like the results this system (not yours, as you
claim) has had on my honor roll daughter. Her grades have suffered and this is her
sophomore year which will impact her when it comes to applying for college. I’m amazed at
your answer to say the least.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2013-10-23

I came up with the fifteen fixes by reading a huge amount of what has been written about grading over the last 100 years. What I found is that until recently there has not been a lot of "pure" research about grading; some parts of the process have a strong research base but much of the literature is best classified as logical analysis and that for the most part is what I did. One of educations dirty little secrets is that teachers generally have little training in how to grade and basically do it the way it was done to them or how they were mentored early in their career. As a result grading has been a very individual, private practice and traditional grading has frequently been inaccurate, meaningless and inconsistent. When I ask educators to share personal stories (as a student, teacher or parent) about grading 95% share negative stories. The eight guidelines that I developed first and then the fifteen fixes are an attempt to identify the shared practices that teachers should implement to make grades accurate, consistent, meaningful and, most importantly, supportive of learning. The question I would ask you is why have your honor roll daughter's grades suffered? Is it because in the past her grades were inflated because of behaviors but now grades are just about achievement they are a more accurate representation of her learning or is it for some other reason? If you haven't already done so please read "Drive" by Daniel Pink, preferably the whole book but at least the section addressed to educators and parents. I would also recommend a very recent article from ASCD's Education Update 55 (10) October 2013 "How we got grading wrong and what to do about it." Unfortunately you have to be a member to access it on the web but maybe you can find a teacher who is a member who can access it for you.