Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hi Ken,

I have been struggling with the idea of not allowing students to work collaboratively on
projects (for example). I know in authentic assessment we are not to give "group" marks,
but the students usually get so much from collaboration. Could the students get a "group
mark" for the actual project, but a collaborative mark based on their ability to work
together? Collaborative learning is a learning outcome in the course. The students would
have to provide reflection for this, as I would not always be supervising their work.

Thank you.

2011-02-19
Kate Sellars

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Please don't stop students working collaboratively - research demonstrates that it is a very
powerful teaching/learning strategy but as you note the strategy is "collaborative
LEARNING" and students should not receive scores on learning activities. After the
collaborative LEARNING they should be assessed individually to find out what they know,
understand and/or can do as a result of the learning activities. If teamwork/group skills,
etc is a learning outcome or a behaviour that is reported they should be scored individually
on the quality of their collaboration and this becomes part of the evaluation of each
student's performance.