Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My teacher offers extra credit to students who made an 80 or lower on assignments. I believe this is unfair. Here is the guidelines for this extra credit.

All students have the option to summarize the learning objectives listed at the beginning of the chapter. They can then attach this summary to the assignment for that chapter when they are turned in to be graded. The teacher will evaluate that summary and give it a grade of 0-10 points. If the student makes less than 80pts (on a 100pt scale) he/she will have their summary points (extra credit) added.

Here is the problem.
Student 1 makes a 10 on his summary but an 83 on his assignments. His grade is left at an 83 and the summary points are not applied.
Student 2 makes a 10 on his summary but a 75 on his assignments. His grade is now a 85.

Despite student 1 earning a higher initial grade AND earning the same number of points on the extra credit, only one student was given the bonus points. It is my opinion that this is unfair inflation of student grades. And despite my opposition to any artificial inflation or deflation, if it is offered to one student it should be offered to all. Why does someone get the opportunity to bring an F up to a C, or a C up to an B, but NOT a B up to an A?

Please explain this in a way I can present it to my teacher. She just doesn't get that it is unfair. She thinks that because she doesn't have to do it at all that it is fair to only do it for some. I really don't care if her decision is to do away with it all together, that is more fair than only offering it to other students. In my opinion its discrimination on the basis of intelligence.

2013-06-05
James Holden

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

You are absolutely correct - equity and fairness requires that "if it is offered to one student
it should be offered to all." I also agree that it appears that this extra credit is a form of
grade inflation. If being able to summarize the learning objectives at the beginning of the
chapter is a way in which truly demonstrate their understanding of the learning then it
should count for all students but if it isn't it shouldn't count for any students.