Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Thank you for the opportunity to ask a question.
Our high school has a 50% off penalty for late work. I do not agree with that penalty, because of the automatic failing grade...no matter how much has been learned. The original intent may have been to deter late work, but there are so many negative implication that result from that unfair penalty (in addition to false reflection of the grading objective).
What statistics and/or suggestions might you have for initiating change of said policy?
I look forward to receiving your response.

2013-06-04
Krystal

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

There are many reasons why the penalty for late work at your school is wrong. Apart from
distorting achievement (any penalty makes a score/grade inaccurate) and motivation (with
such a severe penalty why do it?) the biggest problem is that the penalty doesn't work. The
data I suggest you collect is what is the impact of the penalty on subsequent on-time
submission by students. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that the many
students who are penalized in week 3 are also late with their 'wok' in week 6 and week 9. I
would also suggest you look at the 'Power of ICU' approach and the data that shows how it
changes student behavior with regard to doing their 'work' and doing it on-time.