Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Hello:

Here are the new report card descriptors for Nova Scotia. There has been a lot of discussion about WHAT will be reported on each term. Will teachers be reporting on achievement of outcomes each term (i.e. end of year expectations) or progress toward the outcomes as the statement "in relation to the expected learning outcomes" implies? If it is the latter, how are the expectations for each term to be determined if they are not explicitly stated in our curriculum documents? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. As these new descriptors will be a change for teachers, it will be important to clearly communicate to teachers.
A: The student demonstrates achievement with thorough understanding and application of concepts and skills in relation to the expected learning outcomes.
B: The student demonstrates achievement with good understanding and application of concepts and skills in relation to the expected learning outcomes.
C: The student demonstrates achievement with basic understanding and application of concepts and skills in relation to the expected learning outcomes.
D: The student demonstrates achievement with limited understanding and application of concepts and skills in relation to the expected learning outcomes. The student has not met expectations.
Thank you,

2013-05-30
Martha Stewart

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Martha, as you have identified what appears to be missing in the descriptors of the levels
(unfortunately identified by the letters A B C D) is the time frame. In my view it is essential
that the descriptors clearly identify whether the "expected learning outcomes" are for the
reporting period or for year/course end. This needs to be clarified by the Nova Scotia
Ministry of Education. The Ministry also needs to give a clear explanation of the meaning of
"thorough," "good," "basic," and "limited."

Martha Stewart's
Comment

2013-06-06

Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate your prompt reply. If we added
"for the current reporting period" to the end of each descriptor, it would clarify the time
frame. However, this doesn't necessarily "fit" for third term as there are curriculum
outcomes that are very developmental in nature and would, therefore, be addressed all
year and not just during the current reporting period. Would it make sense to have "during
the current reporting period for terms 1 and 2 and then leave that statement off for third
term or do you see another way to address this issue?

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2013-06-06

The simple answer is yes but it might be better to only include year long outcomes on the third term report card and make that clear in the descriptor.