Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I am having a hard time understanding if I am providing too much help to students. I have a student who is not self motivated so he hasn't been studying for tests or completing all of his practice work. I have had him come in to review with me a couple times prior to tests. His test scores have improved tremendously. I have teachers and administrators questioning me. Even the parents are upset that this grade does not accurately represent what (they think) he is capable of. They are saying this is what he is capable with my assistance..which won't be provided next year. Where is the line? When am I providing too much help? Is there such a thing. I feel that all students deserve to learn. Some need different paths (assistance) to get there.

2013-05-06
Corey

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Our job as teachers is to help students as much as we can. As long as you are not
providing him with the questions or answers (which I am sure you are not doing) you are
not providing too much help and the grade does accurately represent his achievement
because he and he alone wrote the test. Furthermore if his teacher next year is a good
teacher he will get the help he needs to do the best he can - as you said students need
different paths to get there.