Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : : :

Question

Check out the link on how this assessment philosophy is being accepted around North
America
http://globalnews.ca/news/474237/camrose-parents-students-voice-concerns-over-new-
grading-system/

2013-04-11
Don Grader

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

This is about people being uncomfortable with change. The student who said "a percent
goes along and tells you exactly where you sit within your class and how you can do
better, is simply wrong. Percentages should be eliminated from schools as they tell little
of value as what they mean depends on the difficulty of the concept or skill or the difficulty
of the assessment. Descriptions of levels of performance on the other hand have real
meaning. 40% is superb in hitting in baseball and 20% is minimum competence but both
usually represent poor performance in school. Excellence in free throws in basketball is
about 80% but for pilots safely landing planes minimum competence is 100%. Also please
consider this - the two most highly regarded high school programs around the world are
Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate only use levels not % - AP 5 levels, IB

c.downey's
Comment

2013-04-12

The Camrose parents/students are concerned with their children's accademic achievement
and progress in SCHOOL not baseball, basketball, etc; Is it not a matter of opinion to label
certain programs as the highly regarded? Afterall everyones opinion differs.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2013-04-23

You miss my point - I use sports to make the point that percentages have no meaning - 80% may be excellent but it may also be a poor performance depending on the difficulty of the skill or concept and the difficulty of the assessment. Using clearly described levels labelled with words always has real meaning. It is not just a matter of opinion to say AP and IB are highly regarded - both programs have critics but they are the 'gold standard' around the world.

Mike Tachynski's
Comment

2013-04-21

Having been a part of different grading systems, I believe your top achieving student will
always be a top achieving student no matter what system is in place. Please take the I.B.
and A.P students out of this equation temporarily when answering my following question.
If a "B" is hypothetically between 67%-84%, do you see a potential problematic issue with
the average everyday student doing just enough to get into the low end of the bracket (i.e.
in the 67%-70% range) and then not pushing themselves anymore to see just how far they
really could go? Do you think this would be even more or less likely with the low end of
the "C" range? Thank you for your time.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2013-04-23

No I do not see it as a problem. The most motivating factor for almost everyone is to see ourselves getting better so we must teach and assess to help every child do this - regardless of their level of achievement. One of the best ways to do this is to eliminate grading scales that link levels of achievement to fixed percentages.