Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I am a K-6 Principal from Phx. AZ. Recently our district adopted the "fix" of not averaging homework with the subject area grade(s). We report progress regarding homework completion under the Study Skills section of the Report Card. In addition, we use a standards-based number to assess progress towards mastering the state standards.It is a site-based decision regarding the use of the zeros fix. Schools can use a 50 % cut-off or a 4-point scale. My staff reached consensus on a 50% cut-off. I am concerned that some of my intermediate teachers might not be implementing this with integrity.. My question is: the number of students earning the Principal's List (all A's) and Honor Roll (all A's and B's) has markedly decreased since we started implementing these fixes. In your opinion, what is/are the reason(s) for this decline?

2011-01-07
Bill Greer

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

With the information you have provided it is difficult to provide a definitive answer, but it
seems to me that the most likely explanation is that previously many of your students'
grades were inflated by homework completion scores that showed little or nothing about
the understanding or skill that the students have.
As a slight aside I think it is unfortunate that your staff reached consensus on the 50%
cutoff rather than the 4-point scale.