Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I'm an experienced teacher who is new to standards-based assessment and reporting. Without any training provided here I'm struggling with a couple concepts. We use 4 levels (Advanced, Proficient, Approaching, and Below)to report learning to parents.
First, no one can come to agreement as to whether Approaching is passing or failing.
And second, other than in our narrative comments, how can parents get a feeling for where in the "Proficient" range their student falls. Having just from from a traditional grading system, I have "proficient" students who are earning anywhere from 70%-95% all receiving the same "P" mark on assessments and report cards.
Would love your thoughts!

2013-02-10
Kristin

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

First - In a pure standards-based system there would be no passing and failing just levels
of performance. If we have to think in terms of pass and fail, approaching should be failing
(do you want a pilot who approached proficiency?) but in most places it is passing. Second
- there should be no use of percentages in a standards-based system, just descriptions
and lots of exemplars of different levels of performance. Proficiency depends on the
difficulty of the skill or concept; e.g., in hitting in baseball proficiency is somewhere
between 20 and 25% while for free throws in basketball it is 70-80%. The same variability
applies in classroom assessment where you have the added variable of the difficulty of the
assessment.