Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Hi,
We are fully implementing the CCSS and are embracing a standards-based philosophy of instruction and grading. We would like some direction on reporting of the CCSS ELA and Math standards. We are looking at three options for a SBRC. 1) list all CCSS in ELA and Math which would result in a report cards with approximately 70 standards, 2)combine similar standards and not list all the standards which would cut the number of standards in half, or 3) list only the strand, domain or cluster cutting the number in half again. The advantage of having more standards is it gives parents, students and teachers more information about the progress of specific standards. The disadvantage is it requires more record-keeping and filling-out information on the report card. The advantage of using strands, domains or clusters is there is less to fill out on the report card. The disadvantage is it doesn’t give stakeholders much more information than a traditional report card label. For example, there are nine CCSS ELA standards for Literature. Version one lists all nine standards, version two lists three standards by either combining similar standards and/or leaving a few off of the report card and version three has one general label of ‘literature texts’. Which version would you recommend? I have samples of each if you would like to take a look.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and recommendations. Your knowledge and expertise are greatly appreciated.

2013-02-08
D Murphy

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

You raise a very important question. I think the best approach is that teachers should keep
records by standards but reporting should be by domain. I say this because report cards
are meant to be summaries not books. If this is done when discussing student achievement
with a student or parent the teacher can tell them the specifics of strengths and
weaknesses on the specific standards in the domain. Another acceptable alternative is to
select up to ten most important standards for each subject and put them on the report
card. I say this because I believe that ten pieces of information is the desirable upper limit
for the number of pieces of information on each subject. For example in grade 5 math
there are five domains and 26 standards - you could just put the five domains on the
report card or you could choose the two most important standards from each domain or
you could choose the ten most important overall.

D Murphy's
Comment

2013-02-11

Thank you very much for your response! I have two more follow up questions...
Elementary CCSS ELA has 4-6 strands (depending on how you view Reading): Reading
Literature, Reading Informational, Reading Foundations, Writing, Speaking & Listening and
Language. Each strand has anywhere between 2-4 clusters. I can see the ELA section of
the SBRC appearing as one of the following: 1) listing just the 4-6 strands, 2) listing the
clusters within each strand, 3) listing a few of the 'power standards' from each of the
clusters. Suggestions? Also, many teachers who are keeping records by individual
standards find it difficult to convert that into a holistic standards-based grade for
reporting purposes. For example, if the SBRC lists “Reading Literature” and there are 8
standards they have been assessing for that strand - how do you give an accurate, holistic
grade when the student progress and growth went up in a few of the standards, went down
in some other standards, and either weren’t a focus or maintained in other standards? We
are using 1-4 grading scale on the report card per trimester. Thank you very much.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2013-02-21

My order of preference for the three possibilities you suggested for ELA would be 3 2 1. That would solve your second issue because the only 'grades' on the report card would be for single standards. Bottom line is that, whatever we do, the more consistent a student is the easier it is to determine an accurate grade and the more inconsistent the more difficult it is to determine a meaningful or accurate grade.