Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

As our district struggles with transforming our grading and reporting practices, the subject of zeroes continues to be tenuous. Recently a teacher shared the following analogy... what's your take?

"I will continue to have trouble with no grade is less than __% (in place of a zero). Continuing with the real world analogies - not changing the tires of my car is 0 tires. This would not be an acceptable business practice. If we are following a business model of inputs and outcomes then telling me that I have 50% of my tires when I do not is unacceptable. How can we reconcile this?"

2013-01-19
MNS

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Not a reasonable analogy. The basic problem with zeros is their use with the calculation of
the mean in unequal difference scales. If your district uses the most common grading scale
- A - 90-100%, B - 80-89, C - 70-79, D - 60-69 and F - below 60, a zero is not an F it is
a K. Also we teach in grade 5 math that the mean is an inappropriate measure of central
tendency when there are outlier scores and zero is the ultimate outlier. If you change to a
50 point scale with five 10 point groups or a 4 or 5 point equal difference scale then your
colleagues analogy is more reasonable and you can use zeros but NOT when you are usin
an unequal difference scale.