Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Our school is being directed to stop putting 0's in the gradebook when students don't turn in the assignment. Teachers do what is appropriate to try to get students to make up these assignments/assessments in a timely manner. At the end of a marking period, a teacher has a student with an Incomplete due to the missing marks, but the completed work is consistently of "B" quality. If missing work grades are all put in as 0's, student's grade turns to a "C". Teacher realizes that the "B" work that has been turned in does not reflect the full learning of all content. Board policy does not allow for an Inc. to remain more than 10 days after the end of term, and student does not do any more work after end of the term. The "B" is not the student's grade, nor is the "C". Where would you encourage the teacher to direct efforts?

2013-01-15
David Ditzler

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

To encourage the school board to allow Incomplete as a final grade because it is the only
accurate way to communicate the situation you describe - and it puts the responsibility for
producing sufficient (not necessarily all) evidence where it should be - on the student. The
bottom line is that it makes no sense to have a no zeros policy without allowing incomplete.

David Ditzler's
Comment

2013-01-17

Ken,

Thank you. I will encourage my board in this direction.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2013-01-17

You are welcome. Good luck.