Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My school has been very involved in implementing all of your fixes; however, I'm at a loss.

I teach Choir to grades 4-8 and have been told that I must grade the children. I have 300 students and see most of them only once a week for 45 minutes. Due to the amount of holidays at my school, this only amounts to eight times a reporting session. I have explained that I can't grade the students if I don't have enough contact time with the them. Listening to the children individually isn't a possibility.

The students love to sing and sing well. The choirs produce and the school is happy with the results. I don't want to give them product-based evaluation because the course is singing.

In the past, I have only ever had to give anecdotal comments on the report card.

Any advice?

2010-11-26
Duncan Frater

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I agree very strongly with your point of view and I suggest that you try to convince your
administration that they are asking you to be unprofessional. I say this because they are
asking you to use poor assessment practices and make judgments about students without a
sufficient body of evidence.