Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My children's high school has decided that the benchmark tests they take (the midterm version of the state's Standards of Learning test)will count as a class quiz grades. As a former teacher, I know that the students cannot prepare for this; the teachers are instructed to do no review. The tests are designed for teacher pacing and instruction, as well as student understanding. My belief was that students can't be held accountable for the failure of the teacher to cover the necessary material. Is there any information that will help support my claim, should I decide to present it?

2012-12-16
Liz Armstrong

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

One basic principle of quality assessment is that test results should only be used for the
intended purpose of the test. If the tests are designed to identify strength and weaknesses
of teacher pacing and instruction thy should not be used as part of the determination of
student grades. The person I know of who probably has the best information you seek is
Jim Popham. Put his name into Google and you will almost certainly find useful sources.