Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I received a failing grade of 69% at the end of a semester for a class. I received this grade because I was given zero points for a test. I scored a 66 on this test.

The syllabus says about this one exame, "The exam counts as 5% of the theory grade only if a score greater than or equal to 70% is achieved. The test score must be 70% or higher to receive any points"

I was told this test wouldn't hurt me I just wouldn't recieve points. I understand that but it does hurt me. It is counted as 5% of 0 points. I was thinking it just wouldn't count at all and the 5% would be spread through other exams or i would be graded on 95% scale.

Does this sound correct.

2012-12-14
jason

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

No it is not correct - it is malpractice. If percentages are used whatever score you got
should count as 5% of your grade. A literal interpretation of this sentence - "The exam
counts as 5% of the theory grade only if a score greater than or equal to 70% is achieved" -
would be if you get less than 70% it doesn't count, although I am sure that is not what
intended.
To say that "The test score must be 70% or higher to receive any points" is simply put an
unacceptable practice.