Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : : :

Question

What is the most advantageous grading system for MIDDLE School points or percentages?

This is the scenario:
Tests 40%
Class work/Homework 30%
quizzes 20%
class participation 10%

also know that 1 day late work is worth a max of 70%
and after that its a zero

There are no low grades thrown out or curves provided.

2012-11-04
jenny

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

There is nothing good in the grading system you described. Grades should be based on
achievement measured by summative assessments only (no classwork, little homework, no
quizzes, no class participation, no late penalties, certainly no curving) with all summative
scores considered but emphasis placed on more recent scores (i.e., scores should not just
be averaged). Grades should be based on and provided for standards NOT subjects.

jenny's
Comment

2012-11-05

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are you stating that only independent measurable
tasks should be used? Isn't usual and customary for homework and participation to be
accounted for. My concern was mostly for the severe consequences of late work and zeros
that work directly against a point system. It seems without dismissing a low grade there is
no room for error on the students part. Averages seem to be less severe on a grade when
there is any late work or zeros.

Also what do you feel about the severity of late work? What should be the penalty?

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-11-05

Are you stating that only independent measurable tasks should be used?

Yes - only individual summative assessments that provide students with opportunities to "write, do, and say" to show what they know, understand, and can do.

Isn't usual and customary for homework and participation to be accounted for.

Customary but wrong almost all the time.

My concern was mostly for the severe consequences of late work and zeros that work directly against a point system. It seems without dismissing a low grade there is no room for error on the students part. Averages seem to be less severe on a grade when there is any late work or zeros. Also what do you feel about the severity of late work? What should be the penalty?

The "penalty' should be you do the work before school, at lunch time, or after school, or in a support period in the timetable when your friends are socializing or skateboarding or generally enjoying themselves. There should be no marks penalties for behaviours because they distort achievement and motivation and they are almost always ineffective because they do not cause a change in behaviour.

Brent Monnin's
Comment

2012-11-06

I totally agree with you Grade Doctor! Felt this way for years. It's like moving a mountain!
But must be done.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-11-06

Thanks Brent. There are times when I get frustrated and disappointed with the slow pace of change but your comment helps. Ultimately it is about doing what is best for students.