Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : : : :

Question

My son is in 8th grade and taking Algebra I which is a high school credit. His teacher computes grades based on total available points available divided by total points earned. On the last day of the grading period he had earned 305 points out of a possible 315 points which gave him a 97%(A)for the 9 weeks. This school district has each class do Bell Ringers at the begining of class which may or may not be associated with the subject. The teacher gave an "open notebook" quiz on these Bell Ringers, which means if a student didn't have his notebook that he could not complete the quiz and would receive a zero. My son forgot his notebook that day and therefore received a zero or the quiz, when the grade was recalculated for report card he ended up with 305 points out a possible 415 points which gave him a 73%(D)for his final grade. I find this preposterous and have brought this to the teacher's attention, she informed me that I should just accept the grade that "he earned". I found that this one grade could drop his final grade 3 letter grades to be ridiculous, as any other way of computing his grade would give him a B. If a student were to have a B and then received a zero on that quiz he would end up with a F and find that insance. What is your take on this? Do I have the right to fight this grade? As far as the teacher is concerned I should just accept it and get over it.

2012-10-25
Patricia

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

You have an absolute right to fight this grade. The teacher is being absurd and
unprofessional. Absurd because to determine a grade on missing evidence is illogical and
even if he didn't have a notebook why was your son not allowed to do the quiz? If he had
achieved 97% over 9 weeks he probably could have answered most of the quiz without his
notebook. Unprofessional because the opportunity for reassessment and reconsideration
is always part of being professional.

Patricia's
Comment

2012-11-01

He was given the quiz at the time to complete it, but since it was not a quiz based upon
knowledge learned, and it was based on these bellringers that the students complete daily
he was unable to complete it. The bell ringers can be simply copying the daily objective off
the board or writing down what the home for the day will be. Therefore, it is impossible to
be able to complete the bellringer quiz without your notebook because the questions read
as follows (for example) What was the objective for the day on 10/14/12? The student
would then go to the day 10/14 in their notebook and find the objective and wrtit it down.
No notebook means you cannot find the answer. It's solely based on writing the bellringers
in the notebook each day and being prepared that one day and having your notebook. It
would be impossible for any student to memorize nine weeks worth of daily objectives and
be able to complete the quiz without a notebook.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-11-01

The bellringers then are meaningless, useless assessments that shouldn't be used at all, let alone be part of grades. Any principal who is a half decent educator and leader should be able to see that so I would take it to the Principal and demand that action be taken about the grade and the atrocious assessment practices of the teacher. This is one of the worst abuses of sound assessment and grading practice that has ever been brought to my attention.

Patricia's
Comment

2012-11-01

Thank you for your help! I feel better going forward now. I agree that these Bellringers are
meaningless and useless. I've said many times that they are a waste of precious class time
that should be used for instruction.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-11-01

I agree. Please let me know how you get on as you pursue this.

Patricia's
Comment

2012-11-01

I will let you know. Thanks!