Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I have a great deal of respect for your work. I am a principal and have worked closely
leading a district wide task force as they attempt to implement best practices in
assessment and grading. I have been trying to gather resources hat help shed light on
the actual role of class rank and GPA in filler admissions. This is an area that I'm
struggling to find substantive research on while there are certainly strong parental (and
other) perceptions as to the impact of these highly subjective factors. I am VERY
interested on your opinion, advice and whether you aware of any solid, summary
studies that tackle this issue. Respectfully submitted.

2012-10-23
Casey Nye

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

The best piece of information I have found is on the web site for the Quakertown (PA)
Community School District web site at
http://www.qcsd.org/cms/lib04/PA01000005/Centricity/Domain/58/Hanover_summary_o
f_SBG.pdf.
It is a summary of a research study on standards-based grading and college admissions.
I know that a few years ago the Monona Grove School District sent inquiries to a lot of
colleges in Wisconsin about their admission policies so you could ask them what they
found out. The other thing I would do is draft a letter with your three to five key questions
and send it to the Admissions Director at the twenty colleges that most of your graduates
go to and see what you get back. If you do this please let me know what you find out.