Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hello Grade Doctor!

I am a parent of a child in a school district using your grading and reporting system.

I wonder if you could provide for us parents some insight to what your program is and what the learning advantages are for our children?

The district is putting something together, but it is not prepared for us to yet...and there seems to be a lot of questions and concerns that may be dispelled with some information.

Thank you so much! Cheryl

2010-11-13
c smythe

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Thanks for your question Cheryl. I am very pleased that parents are using my web site.

First, I must say that I do not have a grading and reporting "system." I developed eight
guidelines for grading and eleven guidelines for reporting that schools or districts can use
to inform their grading and reporting policies.

My guidelines are about providing accurate information about student achievement to
parents (and everyone involved with student learning) and having a system that is positive
and supportive, not negative and punitive. This supports learning and encourages student
success. It is also about having a motivational environment that minimizes extrinsic
motivation and maximizes intrinsic motivation, the motivation that is necessary for
students to develop as self-directed independent lifelong learners. (See Daniel Pink's book
"Drive")