Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Our district is transitioning to SBG for K-12. The primary grades receive report cards with the 4-3-2-1-0 task score tied to specific standards. However, the high school students receive task scores on assignments and tests rather than specific standards. Tasks are weighted 80% summative, 20% formative. In addition, the district will convert the weighted task average for the semester into a letter grade of A-B-C-D-F. They site you as an expert but don't appear to have listened to you on assessment and grade reporting. Any advice on how we can convince the district to reconsider their grading methods so that our HS students have grades that are truly representative of learning and achievement?

2012-09-22
Karen

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I agree that what you describe is not what I advocate although it is at least moving in the
right direction from traditional high school practices. Three things stand out:
1. grades K-12 should be standards-based NOT assessment method-based (assignments
and tests);
2. Very limited use should be made of the average/mean. Median and mode should be
considered as well but ultimately grading should be seen as an exercise in professional
judgment not as a mechanical. numerical exercise; and
3. 80/20 summative/formative is better than traditional practice but it is a transition and
there should be a time definite for moving to 100/0.