Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Given the total refutation of the no-zero and separation of behaviour and academic evaluation pratices and policies in Canada of late, my question is:

When will you create the necessary reliable and valid empirical studies in order to get results that may or may not support your position?

You have told so many of us that you are not a 'researcher'; however, given the utter lack of scientific (that which can be repeated and verified) evidence presented in your books to date, I'd say you have some work to do otherwise you will be viewed as irrelevant and without credibility.

2012-09-18
Roger Curtis

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Roger, what evidence do you have to support this absurd statement - "Given the total
refutation of the no-zero and separation of behaviour and academic evaluation pratices
and policies in Canada of late"?
The problem with grading generally as I have stated clearly and repeatedly since 1998 is
that there is very little pure research about grading so much of what is written is or
attempts to present logical analysis. While I agree that I cannot provide much in the way of
research that supports no zero policies you can provide no research opposed to no zero
policies or research that supports the use of zeros. I can however point to lots of research
that shows what we should do in schools and parenting is maximize intrinsic motivation
and minimize extrinsic motivation - and this suggests that punitive approaches like the
use of zeros are inappropriate to me. The bottom line for me is that using zeros in a %
system goes against what is taught in math and it is unethical for teachers to teach
mathematical principles and then ignore them in their grade books. I can provide you with
lots of anecdotal evidence that supports the use of no zero policies; for one example
please go to www.poweroficu.com.