Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Hi Ken,

I'm a high school vice principal in a school division that is implementing a new assessment procedure. Starting this year, all teachers must set up an outcomes-based electronic markbook that is available via "portal" to our students and parents. I have had many conversations with worried teachers who want to do this correctly but aren't sure how. Considering that many of our teachers are only recently setting out on their assessment journeys, and that they are not yet equipped to navigate all the implications that an outcomes-based mark book may have on their teaching/assessments, what would be your advice as to how to set up an initial outcomes-based mark book that won't require them to completely rennovate all of their teaching at once?

2012-09-05
Reid Lansing

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Stick with fairly broad categories. For example, for English - Reading, Writing, Listening,
Speaking, Literature and the equivalent for other subjects. After your teachers become
comfortable with these broad categories they can start to break them down to be more
specific.

Wayne White's
Comment

2012-10-30

Does PowerTeacher allow for parent access?

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-10-30

Yes