Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

As my middleschool and district move toward standards based grading, several questions come up that I can't answer for the staff. The most frequently asked is: what should a science teacher do when a student is not in class for a lab or fails the lab. The answer should be to give them another chance, however, the lab equipment has to be shared by several teachers and once the equipment is put away, it's difficult for the teacher to reassemble the lab. The labs are based on specific standards, at a given time, and the material is usually not revisited during the grading period or even the year. This issue also raises its head in middle school math classes. Could you provide a bit of guidance or thought on how to deal with this issue? Thanks

2012-07-27
gordon

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I understand how this can be a problem in science but I do not understand why or how it
would be a problem in math. What you describe is a conflict between principle and
practicality. If you believe that students should have a second chance then, difficult as it
may be, you need to find a way to set up the lab a second time, possibly before school, at
lunchtime, after school or in a support period in the timetable.