Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Hi, I've been snooping on this site and have a question. Do I understand correctly, that if a
student failed to complete enough summative assessments to allow the teacher to evaluate
him/her on a certain portion of the course that teacher should assign an incomplete
regardless of how well the student did on other units in the course?

2012-07-10
fritzie

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Yes

Fritzie's
Comment

2012-07-10

Just to be sure --here's a hypotheticical situation. I have known many students who do
this. An honors student in Alberta has for various reasons not taken the Career and Life
Management Class, that is required for the high school diploma, until the last semester of
grade 12. It is divided into 4 sections each worth 25% of the course. The student does
well--90%+ in the first 3 units which he believes will be averaged the way it has been in
the past. That would give him a around 70% in the course which is good enough for him.
He has honors in the class mark for all the courses required for the university program he
wishes to enter. Instead of doing any of the work for the last unit of CALM, some of which
is very time consuming, he focuses on preparation for the Diploma exams in the crucial
subjects. This new assessment stuff has just been introduced in his school--but he has
been very busy and on several athletic trips ie a trip to a championship in Eastern Canada.
He has not paid much attention to the new policies and has skipped all of the last classes
for CALM. His brother used this CALM strategy 2 years ago. The teacher has tried to track
him down, but failed because CALM is notorious for missed classes and assignments and
she is swamped with work. When deadlines for work are passed and he has missed a final
unit exam, would this student discover that he has not met the requirements for the
Alberta Highschool Diploma because his result in CALM is incomplete and therefor a failure
to pass?

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-07-11

Yes, if the need for satisfactory performance on all four parts was clear and public, and for the same reasons as the following - if a student pilot got honours for takeoffs, flying the plane in the air, and navigation, but provided insufficient evidence (quality or quantity) of landings they would not get certified as a pilot.