Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Ken,
In making the transition to separate grades from behaviour, what schools or districts are
reporting these separately and what, if any, feedback to they have from post-secondary
institutions? I've heard higher education is looking at character in addition to achievement
but don't have any examples.

2010-11-04
Dean Shareski

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Ontario has been reporting achievement and behaviour separately since 2000 from grade 1
to 12. Nine "learning skills" have been reported once for each student from grade 1 to 8
and five "learning skills" have been reported for each student in each subject from grade 9
to 12. Starting this year the same six learning skills will be reported from grade 1 to 12. I
too have heard that colleges are looking more and more at information for admission
decisions in addition to grades. It is my understanding, for example, that many Ontario
universities require students to attach one or more report cards to their application.

Roger Curtis's
Comment

2010-11-29

Dear Ken,

After reading your belief that "it is my understanding...Ontario universities require
students to attach one or more report cards to their application", I asked the head of
Guidance at our school if he could confirm this. The answer? "We send a transmission of
marks." To my mind, that is not the same as sending a report card. Could your confirm
your hunch please?

Thank you.

Roger Curtis

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2010-11-30

I was incorrect when I wrote “Ontario universities require students to attach one or more report cards to their application.” What I usually say is that some faculties in some Ontario universities request or suggest that students provide at least one report card. I cannot remember whom provided that information as it was several years ago. You have asked a legitimate question and I will do some ‘research’ and post the results when I have something worth reporting.