Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Have you had a look at this? Mike shares a very important and relevant experience.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/06/12/edmonton-no-zero-second-
teacher-facing-discipline.html?cmp=rss

2012-06-13
bailey Green

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I certainly have looked at it. Two separate issues - not following policy and the policy itself.
As employees we have to follow policy so no sympathy for the teacher (same position as
ATA!). I support a no zeros policy because it holds students accountable rather than saying -'
you can take a zero, you don't have to do it.'

bailey Green's
Comment

2012-07-05

Mike and many other successful teachers at Ross Sheppard have been "using zero as a
placeholder" with excellent results. If you listen to Mike share his story at this school
board meeting you will understand that he absolutely wants the students to do the work.
More importantly, he cares about the students and wants them to succeed. Between "zero
as a placeholder" and a few other clever strategies Mike got almost all of the work in. If
doing the work is the point, he succeeded by anyone's standard.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-07-05

Bailey I agree that he and Lyndon Dorval are successful but it is because they use a 'soft' no zeros policy. The only difference that I have with their approach is that the placeholder should be "Incomplete" not zero. Something that doesn't exist cannot have a numerical value and a zero should never be calculated as part of a grade, if only because we teach in grade 5 that this is incorrect mathematically.If we teach that it is wrong mathematically, then it is ETHICALLY wrong to do it in our grade books.