Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hello,

My district is currently in the midst of a revision of our elementary school report cards. A debate has arisen, that is stalling possible progress. We currently use the DRA2, to assess student reading progress. We follow the benchmarks for each grade. The trouble is, we are torn on what should constitute an 'A'. Some are saying that an 'A' should be given if a student is exceeding his or her proposed DRA2 benchmark. I this case, a 4th grader ending the year at the proposed independent level for 4th grade, would not be eligible to receive an 'A' in reading, despite any other factors. Conversely, some believe that if a student reaches the benchmark, they should be eligible for an 'A', provided they have shown outstanding work in the other areas considered. One side claims that the level of achievement is lowered, if students who are simply 'on' benchmark, receive an 'A'. The other side claims that students in one grade, are being held to the standard that has been set for the next grade, which may not be fair. I would love to hear your take. Thank you.

2012-06-12
Toney

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

It depends how you define an A - excels or exceeds. If it is the former it seems to me the
student should get an A, if the latter it would be a B. My preference (based on somewhat
limited understanding) would be A.