Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hi Ken,
Our school division is in the process of 'chewing' on a Grading and Reporting policy for the year with plans to begin implementation next fall. One of the areas that schools are struggling with is final exams and the 'doing away with' of recommends. what advice would you have to offer in this area and is there any research that could support us in this area?

2010-11-02
Lori

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Hi Lori,
I apologize for taking so long to answer but somehow I missed this question. I believe that
every high school course should have an assessment plan that identifies, among other
things, the summative assessments that students will have an opportunity to submit to
show what they understand, know and can do. The plan should identify what is the
minimum number, and which of these assessments are essential, for a student to provide a
sufficient body of evidence. One of the essential assessments should be a culminating
assessment that may be an exam or a performance assessment or be part exam and part
performance assessment. Thus I believe there is no place for recommends or exemptions
as they are basically an administrative convenience with little or no educational or
assessment rationale. I am not aware of any research about exemptions about this but if
anyone reading this knows of some relevant research please share it here.