Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I have been working with teachers on setting up gradebooks on Power School. One teacher set up the outcomes across the top but then puts the individual specific outcomes down the side of Individual student gradebooks instead of listing the assignments/tests etc. Every time a new outcome is assessed, he changes the mark under the outcome so that it only shows the most recent mark. There is no history of previous scores because he keeps on overriding it. he has the "history" in a portfolio but his gradebook looks more like a report card would, with the final score showing only. He has agreed to change it to your suggested method if you respond and tell him what he is doing is not acceptable in terms of assessment reporting in a gradebook. Could you please respond to this request so I can pass on your ideas and work with him?

2012-05-22
Dana

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Very rarely should a summary grade be based on one piece of evidence; ideally we have at
least three pieces of evidence and look for the pattern or trend. The teacher is wrong to
simply use the most recent evidence.