Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

There is a group of us working on your 15 fixes in our school; we participated in your Webinar recently. I
think it's going well but we're having some difficulty with the number crunching aspect and need more guidance
there.

If we're using a 6 point scale in our English classes, how to we justify a percentage at the end? We did get
together and came up with a 6+ = 98%, a 6 = 90%, a 5+ = 83%, 5 = 78% etc... If not using a 6 point scale, is
it appropriate to look at the percentage earned on the summative assessments when determining the final mark?

In English, I find that mode is more feasible, while in teaching Social Studies, median seems the way to go
due to large number of content based outcomes. Is it better to use median or mode when determining marks?

Also, one source of confusion is our do we set our "bins". In English we've separated assessments according
to standards: writing, reading, and oral language. Each bin counts for a different percentage of the course:
60-30-10. Is this appropriate?

We appreciate any assistance you can provide.

2010-10-24
Christa

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

"I think it's going well but we're having some difficulty with the number crunching
aspect and need more guidance there."

My advice would be to do as little number crunching as possible. Use levels only until the
just before the end of the grading period when you determine a percentage grade because
it is required by provincial policy.

"If we're using a 6 point scale in our English classes, how do we justify a percentage at the
end? We did get together and came up with a 6+ = 98%, a 6 = 90%, a 5+ = 83%, 5 = 78%
etc..."

If you have to have a percentage "getting together" and agreeing on a conversion scale is
the best way to go.

"If not using a 6 point scale, is it appropriate to look at the percentage earned on the
summative assessments when determining the final mark?'

If all you have is scores out of 10, and 20 and 37 and 50 , etc, etc, that is all you can do.

"In English, I find that mode is more feasible, while in teaching Social Studies, median
seems the way to go due to large number of content based outcomes. Is it better to use
median or mode when determining marks?"

It is better to use the one that provides the most accurate summary of each student's
achievement and think this is more a function of the distribution of scores than the
subject.

"Also, one source of confusion is our do we set our "bins". In English we've separated
assessments according to standards: writing, reading, and oral language. Each bin counts
for a different percentage of the course: 60-30-10. Is this appropriate?"

It is appropriate if it is reflective of the relative importance of and time spent on writing,
reading, and oral language.