Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hello, Ken. I attend a workshop with you in Wisconsin recently. I know that you are not an advocate for "extra credit." How could I change a student selected history book, teacher-student book talk and reflective paper for my ap class that has been extra credit? Any more requirements in this packed class with overrun students and they will flip. I've always liked the option of using the book and its requirements to deepen content knowledge and build literacy skills AND give students a way to have ownership over their grades and learning. Students and myself feel as if it is rewarding. I already allow for rewriting, do test analysis and reworking and in addition count very little "daily work." (I actually didn't count any practice towards grades until I was forced to so I am the same as everyone else) I'm frustrated because now my book talks and the "extra credit" have been deemed "bad practice" and will be forced out in September. Please advise.

2012-05-08
Kelli

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

It sounds like you have many 'good grading' practices in your classroom but if the extra credit
items you list are important they should be included in grades and you have decide what is
enough or too much and make some choices between these and other assessments. If they
are extra credit they inflate grades for students who do them.