Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Our school has "requirements" for 8th grade algebra (an advance section of math). My child has 4 out of the 5 requirements and missed the 5th requirement by 2 points on state testing (a 258 vs a 260). I asked the math teacher if my son could be successful in the algebra class and he said he would be BUT he couldn't be in it because he didn't make the cut. Can a public school deny a student an opportunity for advanced learning, especially when the student has had straight A's and A-'s in math for 2 straight years? Do I, as a parent, have a right to request my student be placed in the class? The other reasoning behind the cut is that there would be too many students in the 8th grade class. In your opinion is this a legit reason or simply an excuse?

2012-04-29
Karen

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Can a public school deny a student an opportunity for advanced learning, especially when
the student has had straight A's and A-'s in math for 2 straight years?
They probably can but why they would when your son's teacher said he could do it and
when his score was within the margin of error is a mystery to me.

Do I, as a parent, have a right to request my student be placed in the class?
Yes, and I would appeal all the way up to the school board.

The other reasoning behind the cut is that there would be too many students in the 8th
grade class. In your opinion is this a legit reason or simply an excuse?
An excuse which is not in the best interest of children.