Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

Hello Ken, In Power teacher gradebook there are a variety of ways that a teacher can look at a summary of their assessment information in student view, mean, median, mode, weighted mean with recent 3 being the default. Do you have suggestions for teachers on when it makes sense to use those options other than most recent 3? Thanks for your thoughts on this!

2012-03-12
Kim

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

In many situations the most recent (which can be any number you want, not just 3) is the
most appropriate summary but if the learning is not cumulative/developmental then other
summary measures would be more appropriate, most likely the median or the mode.

kim's
Comment

2012-03-12

Thank you Ken- what we are finding is that when a teacher is using acheivement levels and
recording at an outocme level, the most recent 3-5 is most appropriate. But those still
scoring with an overall assessment score are not confident on what summary information
to use and default to the mean and the auto calculation function. Any suggestions for
those on that journey of shifting out of the overall score to levels or scales by outcome?

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-03-12

You have probably done what i going to suggest but here are my suggestions - If they are still using overall scores encourage them to use median or mode instead of mean. To encourage them to shift to outcome scores demonstrate how rich the information is compared with overall scores.