Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : :

Question

I teach in a low-income district - 73% free and reduced lunch. Many of the kids in this
district come from broken homes. They don't experience much in the way of
accountability from anything but lessons learned in school. In that way I believe school
provides much more than merely grades to these kids. I think it provides some sort of
foundation in their lives - maybe the only place where rules are enforced consistently and
fairly. If we eliminate those rules, as you suggest, these kids will not learn any of the real
life lessons needed to achieve success at the next level. They will learn that you can be
late to work, late in submitting assignments in college, tardy with responsibilities with your
family and friends and not pay a price. Cheating will be enabled without repercussion.
Absences dont matter and they will learn that being present is unimportant. What your
fifteen fixes do, is enable kids to be lazy, dishonest, and truant and not pay a price in
society. My question for you in our society where accountability is already being eroded,
and families falling apart, where do kids learn responsibility if it isnt in the school?

2012-03-10
Bob Wood

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Bob, I think you have misunderstood what my grading guidelines are about. They are 'hard'
not 'soft.' It is all about accountability and responsibility - there are clear expectations for
the evidence that students must produce to demonstrate proficiency and no ways to
artificially inflate grades through extra credit or being nice. Also there are clear behavioral
expectations that are made explicit by rating student performance on the report card. I
would suggest to you that it is exactly what the students in your school need. I would also
suggest that you read "Drive" by Daniel Pink - or at least the section of the book where he
relates his findings to education and parenting.

bailey green's
Comment

2012-03-14

In my opinion the attitude of this teacher towards his pupils and their families is so
detrimental that how he marks is probably irrelevant. I started school as a low income
child and was stereotyped by my teacher. Her comments on my report card were totally
irrelevant. My marks were totally irrelevant. Fortunately I was growing up in a strong
community and was learning on my own. When I succeeded, the silly woman thought it
was because of her not in spite of her.
For the antithesis to this attitude in education one can look to Victoria Park in Lethbridge,
Alberta. http://digital.lethbridgelivingonline.com/doc/lethbridge-living/web-ll-
march2012/2012030501/#38 pages 36-38

BTW thanks for mentioning Pink :-) I had not run into him and was happy to read about
something I have known intuitively for a very long time. Reading his work and watching
him on U tube is like meeting a "kindred spirit". It feels great to have something one
knows validated by research :-)

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-03-15

Thanks for sharing this Bob.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-06-14

Bailey!