Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Love your books Ken! I worked in Hawaii and was lucky enough to have been there when we transitioned to standards based grading and the GLOS. The impact it had was amazing and I am a firm believer in such practice now! I now work in Idaho and am helping my administrator with a grading policy for students who are special needs. What do you recommend in grading such students, especially those working on a modified set of standards, i.e. officially a 3rd grader but working on 2nd grade standards. What should the report card reflect to be fair and legal?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Andrea

2010-09-12
Andrea

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Thanks for the kind words Andrea. I believe that special needs students should be graded
at the level at which they are working because it is the only way we get useful information.
A third grader working at a second grade level should be graded on grade two standards
and a third grader working at a fifth grade level should be graded on fifth grade
standards. In both cases the report card would indicate that the students have "modified"
grades and the school would need to ensure that the parents understand what the
modifications are (although they cannot legally be on the report card in the USA).