Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : : : : :

Question

what can I do to get a better grade than an 88 in physical education?

2012-03-01
monica

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

"Do, write and say" better!

bailey green's
Comment

2012-03-02

Off the top of my head I can imagine a dozen scenarios in which this would be useless advice
to a student--can't you?

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-03-02

Given the question I thought it was good advice. I don't like questions that are like the original question - just about imp[roving the grade. If the student had identified some strengths and weaknesses in his phys ed performance I could have given him much better advice. In golf if all you know is I shot a 90 and I ask you what can I do to get a better score, all you can say is play better. If on the other hand I give you details about fairways hit, greens in regulation, 3 of putts, etc then you can give me advice that will help me to get better.

bailey green's
Comment

2012-03-03

I think that a good answer would be, "Go talk to your teacher." I live with, am related to
and know many teachers. Without exception they would have positive, specific,
constructive advice to help an already excellent student improve. This is an opportunity
they love. On the other hand I have spent countless hours chauffeuring my kids and their
friends--when this kind of an issue came up they would indicate that they thought this
would be cheating and definitely uncool. I worked very hard to change my kid's attitude on
this. Now, even at university, this habit of talking to a prof about getting the best
possible grade serves my daughter well.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-03-03

Bailey, I agree with you completely. I was being a little facetious partly because of the number of questions I am getting from students about the simple calculation of grades and how to get better grades. I am want them to learn how to learn and the grades will look after themselves.

bailey green's
Comment

2012-03-03

I have been amazed by your patience with those questions :-) I also agree that the
preoccupation with marks is counterproductive for learning. Actually, I believe that school is
often counterproductive to learning.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-03-04

Thanks. I think I have been very patient. All the calculation only questions are going to be removed on Wednesday and after that I will simply delete those type of questions without answering them.