Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My son attends a York Region public school. If you average the marks on his latest report card it equals 81.3% (total of reported grades divided by the # reported). The school did not include him on the "honor roll" (average 80%+) as they calculate the average differently. They told my son they take an average of each subject and then calculate the average for the report card. For example they average about 4 different math marks to come up with one. Do you think this is correct? I believe the the more averages you take, the less accurate the final outcome will be. Do you recommend pursuing this with the school board? The same thing happened last year.

2012-02-28
sandra

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

It is with some reluctance that I answer this question because I think honour rolls are an
abomination that should be eliminated. Having said that, when they exist the
methods/calculations used to determine who is on the honour roll should be transparent
and as simple and straightforward as possible. Using some strange combination of
averages makes no sense to me - it should just be the average of the report card grades.