Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hello Ken,
Our school district is taking the first steps toward implementing the ideas presented in your book -the 15 fixes. A very small group of us completed a book study and are now prepared to share and teach these ideas to the rest of the staff. I was hoping you could offer some good advice as to how to respond to those who are resistant to change. Just from sharing what we have been reading, I have heard comments such as
1. "We are an excellent rated school, why do we need to fix anything?"
2. "How will I get some of my students to complete their homework if they know there will be no grades or no penalties for late work?"
3. "So will everyone be getting A's if we continually allow them to redo their work?'

I know the staff members will present me with some difficult questions, especially those reluctant to change. I could use a few motivational and supportive ideas to share with my coworkers. Finally, on one of your comments, you posted North Canton, Ohio as one school in Ohio that follows your guidelines. Are you aware of any others in Ohio that I could contact? Thank you for your time.

2010-08-19
Becky

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

1. "We are an excellent rated school, why do we need to fix anything?"
Because if you just keep doing what you have always done you will fall behind. High
performing schools aim for continuous progress.
2. "How will I get some of my students to complete their homework if they know there
will be no grades or no penalties for late work?"
Because they will understand, as they
do in band and basketball that everything counts, some as practice, some as performance.
There will be no penalties for late work but there will be consequences.
3. "So will everyone be getting A's if we continually allow them to redo their work?'
Not everyone will get A's but hopefully all will get at least B's, that is all students will be
proficient - and isn't that what every school is trying to achieve.

Finally, on one of your comments, you posted North Canton, Ohio as one school in
Ohio that follows your guidelines. Are you aware of any others in Ohio that I could
contact?
I would suggest Urbana.