Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

My daughter is in second grade and the only grades she receives for math and reading are from the school district's reading and math curriculum's theme/skills tests (Houghton Mifflin and Saxton) at the end of each quarter. This is a high stake test in which I don't feel shows what she has learned or lets me as a parent know what her strengths and needs are. What information/ideas can I present to her principal as to why this is not the best method to use? My daughter is beginning to get lots of test anxiety as well. Thanks!

2012-02-21
Liz

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

As my friend and colleague Damian Cooper says students should be able to "write, say and
do" to show what they know, understand and can do, so only using one test each quarter
to determine grades is poor assessment practice. Also for those important assessments
students must have lots of practice and feedback so when it comes time for major
assessment they are confident that they will be successful. I would also suggest that the
principal and your child's teachers should read (or reread) "Classroom Assessment for
Student Learning: Doing it Right, Using It Well" by Jan Chappuis et al from Pearson.