Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

Hi Dr.- Here is a perfect example of teachers frustrations after implementing 15 Fixes-. Do you have any advice for me? I am a teacher-leader in grading and assessment and I don't always have the answers for the 150 teachers I work with. Please advise:

Hey Lisa,

I’m just curious as to what our building’s “official” stance is on penalizing late work. I know according to 15 fixes that this is not the best practice. I have discontinued penalizing late work for the past two years after reading 15 fixes. However, now it seems as though my students’ motivation for getting work in went from little to none.

I have called parents, assigned detention and written referrals for major assignments that have not been turned in. Too many of our kids couldn’t care less. As a result, I have a ton of students who are failing (more than ever before)! Has our grading committee discussed this at all, and what kind of direction is our school going to head with this dilemma?

Thanks!
Julie

2012-02-21
Lisa

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Dealing with late work cannot be left up to individual teachers, it has to be a collaborative
effort led strongly by the school administrators. You must have support systems in place
and students must be required to attend those sessions until they get it done. The kids
who "couldn't care less" have to be made to feel it is more of a hassle to not do it than to
get it done.