Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

First of all I am middle school teacher trying to do what is best for kids. I have read the book 15 Fixes to Broken Grades and I am currently reading Embedding Formative Assessments by Dylan Wiliam. I read the book Fair Isn't Always Equal by Rick Wormeli, in the book Rick suggests getting rid of a point system and using SBG, on a four point scale. I teach English and Reading. My question is what does that look like? I understand what it would look like for grading a paragraph or essay, but what about when it comes to grading a summative assessment on fact and opinion? The students read a paragraph and answer multiple choice questions pertaining to fact and opinion- 10 questions lets say- usually it would be the student earns 7/10 for a point scale grading system. How would I grade that for standards based grading? Just by the student earning a C, I don't see the difference in using the point scale vs SBG? Please help me! I am a teacher leader in grading and assessment for our school and this question comes up when I mention that it is best practice to get rid of points---I feel I am missing something. Thank you so much for your time! What a great resource for teachers who are trying to do what is best for kids in grading and assessment :-) I look forward to hearing your response.

2012-02-21
Lisa

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

The students read a paragraph and answer multiple choice questions pertaining to fact and
opinion- 10 questions lets say- usually it would be the student earns 7/10 for a point
scale grading system. How would I grade that for standards based grading?
Two part answer - your grade book should be organized by standards not by assessment
methods so if 'fact and opinion' is a standard you would record scores for that standard
every time you assess it. Part 2 - on the ten point test you have to decide what is the cut
score for excels, proficient, etc and what you record for each standard is the level of
performance not the points.